Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'll fly away

Man oh man...I really don't know where to start. They say the beginning's a good way to go, but I'm not sure where that is right now, exactly. Hmm...

Well, the group left two days ago (hope you guys made it home safe!) , so Andrea and I spent one night in Kampala all alone, but hey, it was an adventure! I had to kick Yoda out of the room one last time for good measure and made sure to keep my mosquito net closed because the bed I had spent seven nights in being sick before that was too short for me and so I kept pulling the net open in the middle of the night. Oh well, I'm pretty confident I won't get Malaria on this trip. Oh, and Yoda was the little girl whose mother worked at the guest house there in Kampala; she would always come into our rooms and dig through our stuff, so she reminded me of Yoda in Empire Strikes Back (ask someone about if you don't know). That little bugger came into the bathroom one night while I was puking and pooping at the same time...lemme tell you, that was a party. I'm really okay though, don't worry! I have a little bit of chronic stomach issues, but we're getting them worked out. I think they have something to do with my fiber stuff.

Now that you have some random details, let me tell you a little about what I've been learning.

I've been learning that my life is truly going to be a step by step journey. I came to Uganda with expectations I didn't even realize were there until they were being shattered, one of them being maybe God would show me a vision or something clear of what I was supposed to do with my life. He still might, but for right now he has shown me it's going to be step by step. Trying to get ahead of myself does no good. Like I said before, I have to learn to fly, not just jump off a cliff hoping my nonexistent wings will catch the wind. That's just falling with style, I guess. Although I'm not sure how much style I'd really have...
anyway, I digress.
It's always been my goal to literally get my body to fly someday (I know, it probably won't happen...don't kill my dreams with your logic just yet!), so it's striking me as ironic that God has popped in little foreshadowings about flying here and there ever since I've been there. I have to learn, though.

One of the last things I'll say for now (I have like ten minutes left on the internet) is, when the group went on Safari, I realized something pretty important. My heart is at peace here like it never ever is in the States. I really can't help but feel like my home is somewhere in Africa. Maybe not in Uganda, but somewhere. I don't know how long term it will be or what (step by step, right?) or when it will be, but I'll be coming back. Sorry mom, not trying to scare you. Of course I'm waiting for God's leading and I know I have two more years for sure in the States because I have to finish school. We'll see after that, eh?

The last thing I'll say is this: St. Francis of Assissi's quote keeps coming up all around me about only using words when necessary (someone send it to me!) and a verse I found a couple of weeks ago in Ecclesiastes (5:2-3 if you get a chance) about using less words...I don't know, it's cool. I'll see where God takes it. Hope everyone's enjoying their summer and learning a lot! More soon!

oh, and we start teaching on Monday! I'll be teaching primarily english and writing and some bible!

No comments:

Post a Comment